SC - CookCon

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Nov 2 20:28:41 PST 1999

Well, I'm glad the post got us discussing the holidays, and I thought I'd
throw in my $2.50.  Here is the section of my book from these dates, with
most of what has been already covered here snipped out.
	Christianna

OCT 30
Los Angelitos - Mexico - The Mayans of Cancun started their
commemorations of the dead on Oct. 30th, with a special day devoted to
children who had died, or "Los Angelitos"- the "Little Angels".
OCT 31
Pomona's Day - Ancient Rome - Pomona was the Goddess of orchards and
apples.  Bobbing for apples and using apple parings for divination date
from her festival.
Raging Rout - Germanic & Scandinavian - The evil spirits who came about
were believed to be led by Odin. The weather was prophetic, a soft wind
portended a good year, but a raging wind foretold of a year of bitter woe
and warfare
St. Quentin's Feast Day (4th Cent) Patron Saint of Bombardiers,
Chaplains, Locksmiths, Tailors, and Porters; Invoked against Coughing and
Sneezing.
Vigil of All Saints, All Hallow's Eve, Hallowe'en
St. Wolfgang's Feast Day (994) Patron Saint of Carpenters, Shepherds, and
Woodsmen; Invoked against Stomach Trouble and Wolves.
Martin Luther nails 95 Thesis to Church Door  (1517) Wittenberg Castle,
Germany.
 NOVEMBER 1
Festival of Isis - Ancient Egypt and Rome - A 3-day festival honoring
Isis, the Egyptian Mother Goddess.
Kalends of November - Ancient Rome - November was the ninth month after
March.  It was considered a lucky month, almost free of religious
obligation.
Beginning of Winter - Ancient Rome
Samhain - Celtic New Year - "The Three Nights of Summer's End" -
All Saint's Day - Feast for all Saints, canonized or not, or still living
on Earth striving for Sainthood, or Saints that do not have a saint's day
of their own.
All Hallows Day - from "hallow" (to sanctify)
St. Marcel of Paris' Feast Day (400) Patron Saint invoked against
Vampires. Bishop of Paris, he was loved by the city.   A Christian woman
was buried and soon a black serpent wormed it's way out of her grave,
exposed her corpse, and was seen nibbling on her remains. Bishop Marcel
went to the cemetery in full regalia, and with most of the city watching,
he clubbed the snake with his staff, wrapped it in his robe, and dragged
it from the cemetery.
Edward IV (b. 1470) King of England
NOV 2
All Soul's Day - Feast Day for all souls in Purgatory. In Cheshire,
England, children go from door to door "souling" asking for soul cakes
that were once offered to the dead, or were eaten to rescue souls from
purgatory. (Sin eaters?)
Dia de los Muertos - Day of the Dead Festival - Mexico -
Il Giorno dei Morti - Italy - In Rome, the day of the Dead is the proper
time to send engagement rings to their sweethearts, and to announce
betrothals.   Children believe that if they revere their departed family
throughout the year, they will return with gifts on this festival night.
Fave dei Morti or "beans of the Dead" are rich almond cakes colored and
flavored with chocolate, orange, or other flavors.  They are made into
kidney-bean shapes.

	P.S.
	We discussed the Fave de Morti here last year, and I still have the
recipies posted for both the sweets and the beans with garlic.  Let me
know if you want them. (No, I'm not being a spoon tease, they are from
the list last year, so there!)