El Dia de Los Muertos (was: Re: SC - OT,OOP, But Funny)

Bernadette Crumb kerelsen at ptd.net
Tue Nov 2 20:15:51 PST 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/2/99 5:42:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, kerelsen at ptd.net
> writes:
>
> << Obviously, the Latin-American culture perceives death far
>  differently than most North Americans. My professor indicated
>  that the festival is a Christianization of the month long festival
>  celebrated by the Aztecs at this time of year to honor their
>  dead.
>   >>

> I would not generalize this statement as 'most.' Some of us are very much
> aware of what death and the celebrations of our ancestors are all about. I
> think the last estimate was set at over 70,000,000 North Americans. :-)
>
> Ras

I'm sorry if I offended.  Poor word choice on my part... I should
have said that in my experience and among the people I know,
those of latino heritage seem far more comfortable with thinking
about death and the dead than the non-latino's that I personally
know.  Most of the non-latinos that I know are very uncomfortable
about the idea of "inviting" their dead relatives to come home
for the evening, and many of them have never attended a funeral
or visited a cemetary in their lives. My impression is that El
Dia de Los Muertos indicates a society which is more accepting of
death than the local society in which I currently live.

Did that make sense, or am I still babbling mindlessly? *grin*

Bernadette