SC - APOLOGY IN CAPITAL LETTERS

ChannonM@aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Fri Nov 5 16:34:53 PST 1999

Ras wrote:

>Rice for a meat day. Pick it over and wash in 2 or three changes of hot
>water, and put to dry on the fire, then add boiling cow's milk, and grind
up
>saffron to colour it yellow: soak with your milk, then add in grease from
>beef stock.

Would this be the same recipe that goes like this in the Eileen Power
translation?:

Savoury Rice (ris engoulé) for a meat day. Peel it and wash it in two or
three lots of cold water until the water be quite clear, then half cook it,
run off the purée and set it on flat trenchers to dry before the fire; then
cook it until it is very thick, with beef dripping and saffron, if it is a
meat day; and if that it be a fish day, put not therein dripping but instead
put in almonds well brayed and unstrained; then sugar it and add not
saffron.

I don´t see any milk mentioned here - seems to me this is partially cooked
then fried.

Nanna