SC - Lord's Salt experiment.

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Mon Nov 8 16:33:20 PST 1999

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 8-Nov-99 SC - <sigh>
Cucumbers by "Richard Kappler II"@hom
> do I have your full attention now? :-)
>
> The question is, when were cucumbers first used in Medieval Europe.  I have
> Tannahill, who says they were imported into Rome back in the days even
> before Adamantius from Spain, as well as that they were used to prevent
> scurvy before the Chinese told the Portuguese about citrus, but when were
> they first used in Europe after the fall of the Roman empire or, as I
> suspect, were they always just there?  Recipes and documentation
> puhleeeeeeease.....

I don't know about first used, but Platina describes three different
types of cucumbers (serpentine, and blue, and I don't remember the
third), categorizes them as melons, and says they are generally eaten
raw, peeled and seeded, and sauced with either salt and pepper, or with
salt, oil and vinegar.  He also says they aren't necessarily terribly
healthy foods ;-)

toodles, margaret