SC - Marwick Arts Exhibition

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Nov 8 16:22:01 PST 1999

Eileigh asked:
> I have seen posts on here about feastware, but not much discussion to
> date about 'period' cookware.  Haven't been able to find much about it
> ont he web either.

Welcome to the SCA-Cook's list. We have had discussions previously on
period feastware just not much in the last few weeks. For a look at some
of the previous discussions here and elsewhere on this subject take a
look at these files in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:
p-tableware-msg   (34K)  6/ 1/99    Period tableware. Period referances
utensils-msg     (133K) 10/ 1/99    Utensils, plates, trenchers, cast iron pots.
iron-pot-care-msg (23K)  8/ 7/96    Seasoning and caring for iron pots and
                                       skillets.

On the bigger side, I also have to files on ovens, ovens-msg and camp-ovens-msg.

Or in the FOOD-BREADS section:
trenchers-msg     (32K)  9/15/99    Wooden and bread trenchers. Plates.

And in the BEVERAGES section:
lea-bottles-msg   (43K)  6/16/99    Leather bottles and jacks. Making them.

Or if you are thinking of crafting some utensils of your own, these files
in the CRAFTS section might be of interest:
horn-msg         (106K) 11/18/97    Working with horn. drinking horns.
pottery-msg       (72K)  8/26/99    Medieval pottery, kilns. modern equivalents.
wood-finishes-msg (62K) 10/13/99    Period and SCA wood finishes. Stains.
woodworking-msg   (47K)  8/26/98    Woodworking tools and techniques. wood
                                        finishes.

Hope this gives you a place to start. However, most of this kind of stuff
takes a while to create or accumilate. Don't be overly concerned about having
a complete kit for an event within the next week or two.

If you are new to the SCA, the NEWCOMERS section of my files might also hold
some files of interest to you. Please let me know if I can help you further.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****