SC - pouder fort & douce

Richard Kappler II rkappler at home.com
Mon Nov 8 20:03:48 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/8/99 5:03:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, tori at panix.com
writes:

<< So--can anyone tell me what might have been served at a typical feast
 in ASXIII? >>

Most modern food that did not include glaring examples of New World food such
as vanilla although potato were served often and tomatoes not infrequently. I
don;t think that too many folks even considered doing authentic period feasts
then although there were people such as His Grace Cariadoc, among others,
boldly doing research and study in the area.

<< What were the sources everyone was using? >>

The hideous Fabulous Feasts and Vehling's Apicius seem to be the 2 sources
that I have heard most often mentioned as a source of receipts.

 <<And what was
 considered bleeding-edge experimentation?

IMO, roast beef, homemade bread and Carrots Apicius. Hard to believe we have
come so far.

<< Thanks much,

 Vika >>

No problem. I am somewhat amused that the recreationists are already
'recreating' the early years of the SCA in whatever form. Could carpet armor
and Freon helmets be next? :-)

Yours in Service to the Dream and the Kingdom of Aethelmearc,
Ras