SC - Lord's Salt experiment.

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Nov 8 20:52:45 PST 1999

Alex Clark writes:

"Thanks for finding the original recipe. I'd forgotten that it was made with
cream of almonds rather than almond milk. But while you were noting
substitutions, you might have mentioned that you replaced the cream of
almonds with a boiled and drained almond paste.

To explain more precisely, these are three different ingredients:

Almond paste: ground almonds (a little water can be added to prevent it from
separating. When sold in stores, it tends to have sugars (such as glucose)
added.

Almond milk: water or other liquid with extractives from almond paste - the
almond paste is mixed in and then strained out. Note that this is *very*
different from almond extract flavoring.

Cream of almonds: cooked & curdled almond milk with the whey drained out.

So what this recipe calls for is (unsweetened) almond paste, mixed with or
ground with extra liquid, strained, cooked, and then drained."

As I read it, what Eyroun in Lentyn uses as filling is essentially an almost
identical concoction dealt with earlier in Harleian 279, Fride Creme of
Almaundys (Cold Almond Cream).  The description of its preparation is very
similar to that of the filling in the Eyroun, only more detailed.  So I would
call what I filled the Eyroun with "Almond Cream".  We may just be having
semantic differences for essentially the same thing:

EYROUN IN LENTYN:
Take Eyroun, & blow owt (th)at ys with-ynne atte o(th)er ende; (th)an waysshe
(th)e schulle clene in warme Water;

(th)an take gode mylke of Almaundys, & sette it on (th)e fyre; (th)an take a
fayre canvas, & pore (th)e mylke (th)er-on, & lat renne owt (th)e water;
(th)en take it owt on (th)e clo(th)e, & gader it to-gedere with a platere;
(th)en putte sugre y-now (th)er-to;

(th)an take (th)e halvyndele, & colour it with Safroun, a lytil, & do
(th)er-to pouder Canelle; (th)an take & do of (th)e whyte in the ne(th)er
ende of (th)e schulle, & in (th)e myddel (th)e (y)olk, & fylle it vppe with
(th)e whyte; but no(gh)t to fulle, for goyng ouer; (th)an sette it in (th)e
fyre & roste it, & serue f[orth].
Harleian MS 279

FRIDE CREME OF ALMAUNDYS
Take almaundys, an stampe hem, an draw it vp wyth a fyn thykke mylke,
y-temperyd wyth clene water; throw hem on, an sette hem in (th)e fyre, an let
boyle onys:  (th)an tak hem a-down, an caste salt (th)er-on, an let hem reste
a forlongwey or to, an caste a lytyl sugre (th)er-to; an (th)an caste it on a
fayre lynen clothe, fayre y-wasche an drye, an caste it al a-brode, an late
all (th)e water vnder-ne(th)e (th)e clothe be had a-way, an (th)anne gadere
all (th)e kreme in (th)e clothe, an let hongy on an pin, and let (th)e water
droppe owt to or .iij. owrys; (th)an take it of (th)e pyn, an put it on a
bolle of tre, and caste whyte sugre y-now (th)er-to, an a lytil salt; and
(y)if it wexe (th)ikke, take swete wyn an put (th)er-to (th)at it be no(gh)t
sene; and whan it is I-dressid in the maner of mortrewys, take red anys in
comfyte, or (th)e leuys of borage, an sette hem on (th)e dysshe, an serue
forth.
Harleian MS 279

Rudd Rayfield