SC - <sigh> Cucumbers

ChannonM@aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Tue Nov 9 11:34:04 PST 1999

Hello!  I recall that Hares in papdele was a topic of debate sometime last
year, but I've lost the file.  I just ran across another recipe for it in
the  Liber Cure Cocorum that Adamantius sent me, so I figured I'd pass it
along before I forgot about it.

Adamantius posted this recipe last year:

Connynges in Papdele
"26	Hares in papdele. Take hares; perboile hem in gode broth. Cole the
broth and wasshe the fleysshe; cast a[3]ain togydre. Take obleys o[th]er
wafrouns in defaute of loseyns, and cowche in dysshes. Take powdour douce
and lay on; salt the broth and lay onoward & messe forth." Curye on
Inglysch, Book IV, "The Forme of Cury", c. 1390 C.E.

And here's the one in verse from LCC:

Harus in Perdoylyse.
Take harys and perboyle hom, I rede,
In goode brothe, kele hit for drede,
And hew [th]y flesshe and cast [th]erinne.
Take swongen eggus, no more ne myn,
And cast in [th]y sewe and sethe hit [th]enne.
Take obles and wafrons, as I [th]e kenne,
Close hom in dysshes fare and wele;
Salt [th]e sewe, so have [th]ou cele,
And lay hit above as gode men done,
And messe hit forthe, Syr, at [th]o none.

This recipe differs from the FOC version in that the broth in which the
hares were cooked is being thickened with beaten eggs.  Also, only salt is
added, not powder douce.

Regards,

Cindy Renfrow
cindy at thousandeggs.com