SC - Re: survival/ camp cooking

Stephanie Dale Ross aislinncc at mailcity.com
Wed Nov 10 11:11:32 PST 1999

Two of my favourite Thanksgiving recipes I thought I'd share with you.

Aislinn Columba of Carlisle

Carrot-Apple Saute

3 cups (1 lb)sliced carrot rounds (I use frozen)
1 tbsp butter
1/3 c chopped onion
1 large sour apple, sliced thinly and peeled
1/3 c apple juice, unsweetened
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
dash of ground nutmeg

Boil carrots 6 min or until tender; drain and set aside. melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion 3 min. Add apple and sutee 4 min. Add carrots, apple juice and remaining ingredients. Cover, reduce heat and simmer three minutes. Serve warm. 8 half-cup servings.

Dried Tomato and Vegetable Biscuits

1 1/2 oz. dried tomato halves
3/4 c. vegetables, finely diced (carrots, squash, bell peppers)
1 tsp ea. fresh parsley, dill basil and garlic, chopped (1/2 tsp. if using dry)
salt and pepper to taste
7 cups flour
3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp salt
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast (1 pkg)
6 tbsp warm water
2 1/4 c vegetable shortening, chilled, cubed
2 1/4 c buttermilk

Cover tomatoes with boiling water and let stand 15 min. Drain and chop. Combine tomatoes, vegetables, herbs, salt and pepper. Set aside. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, and 2 tbsp salt. Soften yeast in warm water. Cut shortening into dry ingredients then add yeast in water. Add half the vegetable mixture and half the buttermilk. Repeat. Mix lightly. Turn onto floured surface and knead. Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness and cut with 3 inch biscuit cutter. Bake on greased sheet pans 2 inches apart, or parchment-lined sheets. Bake at 375 for 20-22 minutes. 24 servings
From: Buckhead Diner, Atlanta
pastry chef: Raymond Graves

- ---
Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.
Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
                                   - Elie Wiesel