SC - steaks

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 10 18:19:53 PST 1999

I was thrilled to have been chosen to represent Ansteorra with a period
recipe at the Gulf War this year.  The new spices I received for this from
World Spice in Seattle I beleive made the big difference.  The stew was
really tasty.
Beef Stew
redacted by HL Gwyneth Blackrose

2lbs. stew meat
1 large onion
8 cups water
1/2 tsp. grain of paradise, crushed
1/2 tsp. mace powder
1/2 tsp. sage
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. parsley
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
15 cubebs, crushed
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1.c bread crumbs(I used a period bread recipe and made these)
3 tblsps. red wine vinegar
2 beef bouillon cubes
pinch of saffron

Brown meat and set aside.  Bring water, bouillon, spices and onion to a boil.
Cook until onions are somewhat transparent.  Soak bread in vinegar and
strain through a strainer, stirring into mixture.  Add beef and cook until
thick.  Serve hot.

Beef stew is a simple dish but I had never played with cubebs or grains of
paradise before so I did a lot of experimenting to get it the way I wanted it.
I used texts from "Take a Thousand Eggs" - Harleian MS. 279 and "Pleyn
Delit" Harleian MS. 4016 as sources.

What I really want to do at the War is do the cooking over an open fire.>

>I cannot describe the dishes presented as I had to work last weekend
>so maybe Gwyneth could contribute her impressions and descriptions.

There was actually 2 other people with food entries.  A lady with an apple
tart and spiced muffins.  Also a lady who had several Scottish dishes.
I have written Catherine de Calais with subscription info for the list so
maybe she will join us.  Her dishes were very well done.  There was a
chicken dish, a cold liver paste and a sweet dish with apples but I can't
remember the other two.

There were a LOT of very talented people there.
I saw your name, Sir Gunthar, on the auction sheet for the verjuice and
then couldn't find you anywhere.  Sorry you had to miss it.

in service,
gwyneth