SC - Horse-bread

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Nov 10 21:36:03 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/10/99 11:40:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
castorquinn at crosswinds.net writes:

<< what spices flowed through to Western Europe,
 before about 1300?  I am talking here of exotic spices, not the native
 spices , if there were any (were there?). >>

A quick glance at period recipes reveals cassia, cinnamon, galengal, long
pepper, black pepper, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, grains of paradise, mace,
raisins of Corinth, etc.

Native 'spices' were pretty much NOT used in noble cookery, SFAIK. Herbs such
as laurel, thyme, parsley, sorrel, etc., are occasionally mentioned along
with onions and, rarely, garlic.

I am sure that Stefan has loads of references in his Flore-thingy regarding
the use of spices in period.

Importation was usually through Venetian middle men with the Middle East
providing the wares.

Ras