SC - Poor Man's lobster

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Nov 11 14:28:26 PST 1999

Liam Fisher wrote:

> > > Sounds marvelous. Where do you get torsk from?
> >
> >I used to get it in the grocery store all the time. It was sometimes
> >sold as "poor man's lobster". I haven't looked in a while though.
>
> That would be Monkfish I believe.

Hard to say with fish. There are marketing terms which completely ignore
biology and taxonomical relationships. Monkfish, a.k.a. Lotte,
Anglerfish, Goosefish, and, I think, sometimes, referred to as Poor
Man's Lobster, although I've never seen it marketed that way, is quite
different from torsk, which is definitely air-dried (rather than salted)
cod, ling, hake, pollack or other codlike fish. Basically stockfish.

Adamantius (who likes his reconstituted torsk sauteed in plenty of good
green olive oil with garlic and lots of fresh parsley)
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com