SC - translating Cindy's cookbook

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Thu Nov 11 19:36:44 PST 1999

At 12:07 AM -0700 11/11/99, Victoria Wilson wrote:

> > I know that HG Cariadoc in the Miscellany estimates that medieval eggs
> > were about half the size of modern large eggs.  Does the same
> > conversion apply to yolks?

As I hope I made clear in the _Miscellany_, that is merely a guess,
nothing more. I don't have the evidence to back it up--and hope
someone else will learn more.

One possibility is to look at paintings, although the ones most
likely to give accurate pictures of such things are probably late
period or post period. Someone, I think Marion of Edwinstowe, looked
at some such and concluded that egg sizes didn't seem that different
from ours, which suggests that I probably overestimated the
difference.

Somewhere out there there has to be a chicken history enthusiast who
could actually answer the question--anyone know where?

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University
ddfr at best.com