SC - Medici Archive question-sommate di Napoli- can anyone here help?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Nov 15 03:38:51 PST 1999

Tygre Marie asked:
> Are there any 14th C French recipes for shellfish (in particular,
> mussels and shrip/prawns)?  I see lots for fish and eels but have yet to
> run across any for shellfish.

Welcome to the SCA-Cooks list.

I'm not sure. Unfortunately, my files are not organised that way, but you
might want to take a look at this file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:
seafood-msg       (33K) 10/ 6/99    Medieval non-fish seafood. Recipes.

Most period recipes and redactions discussed on this list eventually end up
somewhere in my files.

Although you mention already having lots of fish and eel recipes, I'll mention
the other fish type files I have:
eels-msg          (20K) 11/18/97    Eel dishes. Getting and cleaning eels.
fish-msg         (145K)  8/30/99    Medieval fish dishes. Fish in the SCA.
stockfish-msg     (72K)  8/30/99    Period preserved fish. Dried, smoked and
                                       salted fish. Recipes.

I have yet to try one of the eel recipes. If you have one that has worked out
well for you, please post it. I'd love to add it to the eels-msg file and maybe
even try it.

I encourage you to use fish or seafood in your feast. I wish there were more
served at SCA feasts. There are various reasons for this. This file in the
FEASTS section might be good to look through:
feasts-fish-msg    (7K)  9/14/99    Serving fish at SCA feasts.

> Does anyone have a recipe for a medieval onion soup? ( I have lots for
> modern versions but no medieval ones).

There are actaully quite a number. Most do not seem to be beef broth-based
though as most modern onion soups seem to be. Take a look through this file
in the FOOD section:
soup-msg         (114K)  5/10/99    Medieval soups. Cooking soups at events.
                                       recipes.

>     The theme of this particular feast being 14th C French , including
> any influences by neighboring countries (Germanic, Mediterranean) if
> any.  Any and all suggestions are welcome.

You might be interested in some of the cookbook bibliographies and cookbook
reviews and comments in the files in the FOOD-BOOKS section.

There are also these files in the FOOD-BY-REGION section:
fd-Germany-msg    (57K)  8/ 4/99    Medieval and Period German food.
Cookbooks.
fd-Italy-msg      (16K)  9/29/98    Period Italian food. Cookbooks.
fd-Spain-msg      (24K)  8/ 4/99    Food of medieval Spain. Cookbooks.

I hope these files prove useful to you.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net