SC - Good Broth

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Nov 15 22:33:48 PST 1999

Jenn/Yana wrote:

> >One of the books I received was the Domostroi.  My memory is not at its best
> >right now, but IIRC we had a discussion on vodka recently and determined
> >that it prolly wasn't period.  Nay nay moosebreath!  Domostroi discusses
> >distillation of vodka as well as mead, although not in the depth I would
> >like.  As Domostroi is period, and as the lack of depth implies that any
> >good Russian wife would already know the mechanics of making vodka, I'm
> >inclined to believe it traces back well into period, though I cannot YET
> >prove it with any certainty.
> >
> >reading on, Puck
>
> In the Pouncy translation, she does indeed refer to distilled spirits
> (which she translates as "vodka"), but the Russian term which is originally
> used is very vague (it simply means "spirits").  The actual Russian word in
> the original is <vinnyi>.

If I remember correctly (A. cackles insanely at the inherent
unlikeliness of it all) the vodka spoken of in the Domestroi refers to a
mead distillate. The concept of vodka as we know it, presumably a grain
and/or potato product, is probably newer. I assume vinnyi basically
means "booze", although pretty clearly a reference to wine and similar products.

>  I talked with my comrades on the Slavic
> Discussion list about this not too long ago and here is what one had to say.
>
> ><vinnyi>, as you suspect, cannot refer to vodka, at least not in period. From
> >another secondary source (with a good survey of primary sources, etc) I
> >remember the comment that vodka, and other distilled spirits, did not make
> >their appearance in Russia before the XVII century, and when it did,
> >distillation and sale were strictly regulated by the crown (hear: state
> >monopoly).
> >Predslava
>
> The secondary source that Predslava mentions above is Bread and Salt by
> R.E.F. Smith. According to Smith, some believe that vodka was introduced as
> early as the 14th century, but that probably vodka did not appear until the
> 16th century and that the distillation process was probably introduced by
> the West.  The Domostroi mention of distilled spirits may even be a later
> addition, for all we know.  If vodka-making and distribution was
> controlled by the state, why would the conservatively-minded author of the
> Domostroi say that a woman should know how to do such unlawful things?

Particularly when so much of the rest of the text is devited to the care
of her soul?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy