SC - Millet recipe

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Mon Nov 15 22:33:29 PST 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> My question was about the "stuffed intestines". I thought chitlins were
> fried skin? or perhaps fried intestines?

Maybe you're thinking of chicharrones? Usually fried belly/side meat,
such as fresh bacon, with the skin on, scored on the meat side.
Chitlin's, a.k.a. chitterlings, are a dish of stewed small intestines,
cut into lengths and cooked with things like chilis, tomatoes, and
vinegar. Defintely an acquired taste. No stuffing, though.

> Anyway, perhaps "stuffed
> intestines" are really what we genericially call sausage? So, would all
> "stuffed intestines" be sausages?

Ow. My brain hurts. We're dealing with partially intersecting subsets
here. Stuffed intestines are stuffed intestines. If stuffed with meat,
or even fish, I'd call them sausages. If stuffed with grain or even
breadcrumbs, I'd call them puddings. Of course there are sausages
stuffed with meat and potato, and they're considered sausages... Some
stuffed intestines are stuffed with intestines: the gut is spiced and
threaded back in and out of itself until it's a solid, many-layered
mass. This is a form of French Andouille sausage, normally a bit on the
rare side by American standards. (Eeeewww, guts!) I wonder if the
stuffed intestines would be something like that.

Yes, this question just needed to become more complicated to be fun ;
). Everything's fine now!

Hope you're feeling better, Stefan!

Adamantius
- --