SC - Grapes

ChannonM@aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Tue Nov 16 13:32:00 PST 1999

david friedman wrote:

> > So
> >Crete? Why not?
>
> Presumably because people in the Middle ages didn't know anything
> about Minoan Crete, beyond the Theseus story.

Really? Hmm. But where did they get that? Certes, Chaucer repeats it
(interminably- the Knight's Tale is not my favorite) but there is also
some sort of 'cycle'- at least my big book of _French Painting in the
Time of Duc de Berri_ has a great deal of paintings from the Limbourg
studio illustrating the tales (in 15th c. style- one of my favorite
costume sources). Is there some sort of second-hand pass-down via the
Greeks? Vesta is Greco-Roman, which may or may not signify...

I wouldn't mind seeing her do more 'mainstream' stuff, but she is doing
good work on something that interests her, and ya gotta pick your
battles. Establishing good research habits is more important to me right
now than steering her to a different century. (Besides, she is a lady
fighter of no small prowess. I am a wimpy cook/costumer/canon lawyer. Do
the math.)

'Lainie