SC - Grapes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Nov 17 23:14:10 PST 1999

Yet another account of the origin of "turkey" that I heard, I think,
from Marion of Edwinstowe (I don't remember where she said she read
it) was that the merchants who traded from the eastern end of the
Mediterranean to England were called "Turkey merchants" and that they
picked up turkeys in Iberia en route to England and sold them in
England, leading to the association between the bird and Turkey.
David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/