SC - French toast?

Liam Fisher macdairi at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 18 07:56:56 PST 1999

Here are two of the dishes I'm using from the book "The Sensible
Cook: Dutch Foodways in the Old and the New World" by
Peter G. Rose. A pretty neat book and I look forward to using more
recipes from it.

Small Seed Cakes

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon caraway seed, bruised in the mortar with a pestle.

Cream the butter with the sugar. Add eggs one by one and incorporate
thorougly. Add seeds and flour a little at a time, stir well. Use two
teaspoons to shapethe cookies about the size of a nutmeg and place
them on a buttered baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15
minutes, until the rims are browned. Makes 4 dozen.

Zoete Koek (Spiced Sweet Bread)

1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup milk

Sift the dry ingredients together into a large bowl. Slowly add the
milk and stir to make a dough without lumps. Pour the dough into a
greased 8 X 5 X 2 3/4 inch loaf pan and bake in a 350 degree oven
for about one hour, or until a knife inserted comes out clean and the
loaf is a deep brown. Cool and store.

Here's a recipe that is totally OOP but I just HAVE to try.

Pumpkin Cornmeal Pancakes
(From Peter Kalm's travel accounts of the year 1749.)

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup confectioner's sugar, pluse extra sugar for topping
1/2 teaspoon dried ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup mashed pumpkin, or use canned pumpkin
2 eggs, lightly beaten with a fork
2 1/2 - 3 cups milk or more for thinner pancakes
Butter for frying

Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Combine pumpkin
and eggs. Beat into dry ingredients. Add milk slowly to make a smooth
pancake batter. Heat some butter in a frying pan and pour some of
the batter in. Swirl the battter around to make an evenly thick pancake.

Cook on both sides until nicely browned. Serve hot, heavily dusted
with confectioner's sugar.

As you can tell the recipes range over a couple hundred years and there
are no recipes in the original language or even translations. Also, most

of the recipes don't have possible dates as well as using a lot of later

American ingredients, like the baking powder. But it is a fun book and
has some wonderful recipes and history to it.

Yers,

Gunthar