SC - French toast?

BanAvtai@aol.com BanAvtai at aol.com
Thu Nov 18 11:28:20 PST 1999

> I don't like "maple" syrup so, but it really doesn't go with that
> anyway...if I do, I make my own with maple sugar and reduce it a
> much lighter conisiency than  what comes out of the brown woman's head...

ACCKKK (<- Yankee choking on his johhnycakes)

Ack! Sputter!

AHEM...

THAT IS NOT, IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM, MAPLE SYRUP!!!!

Unless it says "grade a medium amber" or some such, what you get in the
supermarket is a product of the Great American Chemical Factory, mostly
artificially flavored corn syrup, with sometimes with thickening agents and
artificial butter flavoring thrown in!!

If you want a real experience, make a Polenta, refriderate it overnight in a
loaf pan, slice it in 1/4 inch slices, flour the slices, and fry them brown in
fresh butter. lightly Sprinkle with Confectioners sugar, adorn with a knob of
fresh butter and drizzle with hot REAL FROM THE GODDAMNED TREE
MAPLE syrup.

Judging maple syrup on the basis of Log Cabin or Mrs Butterworths
or some other "brand" is like judging a calligraphy  A&S entry based on
the applicant's performance in a mundane rock band.

Maple Syrup is marginally period, BTW, the English brought some back
from Florida (reference the adventures of Sir John Hawkins) in the 1560's
(along with tobacco, which the French were already familiar with from
explorations in Florida)

Brandu