SC - Venetian Supremacy

Richard Kappler II rkappler at home.com
Thu Nov 18 14:59:41 PST 1999

>ACCKKK (<- Yankee choking on his johhnycakes)
>
>Ack! Sputter!
>
>AHEM...
>
>THAT IS NOT, IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM, MAPLE SYRUP!!!!

I know it isn't, but I use the dry sugar to make a heavy syrup, I can deal
with that a lot better than I can deal with commercial crap. I throw fruit
in it too or cider and have fun..

>Unless it says "grade a medium amber" or some such, what you get in the
>supermarket is a product of the Great American Chemical Factory, mostly
>artificially flavored corn syrup, with sometimes with thickening agents and
>artificial butter flavoring thrown in!!

Yeah, I know...I have an actual tin of REAL maple syrup that I keep
for company...I don't want to feed them crap.

>lightly Sprinkle with Confectioners sugar,

Right there that turned me off, I woiuldn't ruin a perfectly good
peice of polenta by dousing it in sugar...I have done the fried polenta
thing as well.

>Judging maple syrup on the basis of Log Cabin or Mrs Butterworths
>or some other "brand" is like judging a calligraphy  A&S entry based on
>the applicant's performance in a mundane rock band.

Nope, judging it because it's too sweet, I like a VERY little
amount of it when I do decide to use it.

>Maple Syrup is marginally period, BTW, the English brought some back
>from Florida (reference the adventures of Sir John Hawkins) in the 1560's
>(along with tobacco, which the French were already familiar with from
>explorations in Florida)

Now, just because it was brought over as a sample I wouldn't call it period.
  If it was available and used regularly by some portion of the society,
then I would...

Cadoc
(who definitely doesn't have a sweet tooth)
Cadoc MacDairi, Mountain Confederation, ACG

" Well you want to go out
  'cause it's raining and blowing
  You can't go out
  'cause your roots are showing