SC - ODD DAY

James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain alasdair.maciain at snet.net
Fri Nov 19 16:35:00 PST 1999

Hauviette wrote:
>macdairi at hotmail.com writes:
> >what comes out of the brown woman's head...
>
>is that stuff really maple syrup?
>
>Hauviette
>who pays $10 for 700ml of maple syrup from Quebec.

No! Way! "Mrs. Butterworth's" is mostly corn syrup with artificial
maple and butter flavors.

Some maple flavored products say "artificial and natural flavors" but
they don't mean *natural* maple. One natural ingredient used in maple
flavored syrups is fenugreek seed (smell some - it has a mapley
smell, although not a mapley taste).

Now when i was a kid back in the 1950's i *think* Log Cabin still had
maple in it blended with the corn syrup. But there hasn't been any in
Log Cabin since at least the 70's.

Since i don't drown anything i eat in syrup and i don't have a sweet
tooth, i only buy real maple. So the expense is worth it for the
subtler, more complex flavor of real maple, and i don't use it up
real quickly. If i wanted corn syrup, i'd just buy corn syrup :-)

And real vanilla is most likely not used in "maple flavored syrup"
nor in many vanilla flavored things. Check the label. Often it's
artificial vanillin. I can often tell when some kind of artificial
vanilla is used as my nose just stuffs way up. But i don't know which
kind of artificial vanilla has this effect...

Anahita