SC - ODD DAY

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Fri Nov 19 15:11:22 PST 1999

I'm am very grateful to everyone who offered information, suggestions,
and speculations about egg sizes.  Today, I bought a carton of medium
eggs (I haven't seen any small ones in my local stores), intending to
use them sometime soon to redact some recipe or other.  I also took
someone's advice, and began to look at paintings.  In _The Heritage of
Spanish Cooking_, which is one of those heavily-illustrated coffeetable
cookbooks, I found a painting by Velazquez.  "Old Woman Cooking
Eggs" was painted circa 1618 (19 years after Granado's cookbook was
published).  It clearly shows an egg in the old woman's hand.  I can't be
certain, but as best I can judge the proportions, it's about the same as a
modern medium-sized egg.  There's an image of the painting at:
http://sunsite.auc.dk/cgfa/velazque/p-velazq39.htm

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann