SC - Can someone help her?

Ann & Les Shelton sheltons at conterra.com
Sun Nov 21 10:05:50 PST 1999

Elysant wrote:
>This makes me wonder too sometimes - in our field - are the contents of the
>primary sources we use to recreate our feasts filled with dishes that were
>commendable, special and spectacular and therefore recorded for posterity,
or
>are they dishes that were "typical" of items cooked in the kitchens of the
>chefs?

I also think we have a combination here. Take the "Haerpestreng" manuscripts
for instance - even though there is an Icelandic translation, that doesn´t
mean some of these dishes were ever cooked in Iceland. The "White Mash"
recipe you posted last week may very well have been - the ingredients were
available and rather similar dishes are still made, both here and in
Scandinavia. But it is unlikely that "Icelandic Chicken" was made in Iceland
(no sage, for instance) and another recipe, a venison marrow pie, certainly
never was.

Nanna