SC - OOOPS -- Sabina Welser

Thomas Gloning Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de
Mon Nov 22 00:26:51 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/21/99 10:29:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

<< Not only are there no cookbooks translated into English for that time and
 place, there don't seem to be any cookbooks for that time and place period.

Considering that Communism and it's stranglehold has only recent;y been
broken in the Eastern nations of Europe, I would think your statement is
rather broad. Personally, I think that encouraging them to publish and/or
allow such manuscripts to be published and translated would be far more
practical than dismissing the possibility of their existence based on
availability from past repressive regimes......

There is at least one group of SCA members in Russia as a request this past
few months for information on our organization and a request for some sort of
equipment or what not indicated. They received information and equipment
needed, SFAIK.

I see no reason why they shouldn't be contacted and specifically asked to see
if such manuscripts exist. Does anyone have the e-mail addy of the group that
was posted? I would be more than happy to post them such a request. Such a
request would be far better than 'supposing' this or that.

For that matter, there are numerous college and university professors on this
list who have a far more reasonable chance now than ever before to get their
hands on these documents if they exist. Why have they not diligently pursued
this path? And, if they have, why have they not spoke publicly on the matter
or shared any information they may have received?

With all these questions unanswered, speculating that period Russian
cookbooks do not exist is just as absurd as speculating that they do. We
simply do NOT know and those that are in a position to tell us the facts have
simply not done so.

Other professional and amateur scholars such as Thomas (Germany), Anna
(Netherlands/France, etc.), Nanna (Iceland), Alvatere (sp?) (Portugal),
Nicolli (sp.) (Italy) and Bonne (Spain) of this list have went out of their
way to post or web hitherto unavailable documents and many of them not
speaking English as their native tongue have translated those documents or
parts of documents into English while many in a position to do so have chosen
not to do. Information only becomes accessible when someone is willing to
make it accessible.

Just my .02.

Yours in Service to the Dream and the Kingdom of Aethelmearc,
Ras