SC - apple peeler corer

Angie Malone alm4 at cornell.edu
Tue Nov 23 06:59:55 PST 1999

Bonne writes:

(Snip)

"I'm teaching a class in January that may change to this.  I'm no longer as
interested in teaching the class I'd originally planned on last winter (the
event has been postponed twice).This could be expanded to "what medieval
foods we STILL eat".

(snip)

The difficulty in planning this class would be drawing that line between
medieval food and what some here refer to as "nouveau cuisine", a lot of
which does survive."

Custard pies are essentially the same now as they were seven hundred years
ago.  The ingredients and basic procedure for making such pies in "Joy of
Cooking" is remarkably similar to "Doucete(s)", Austin, p. 50, except that
nowadays the crust can be easily pulled out of the oven and quickly filled
instead of having to introduce the custard mixture into the crust in the oven
on the end of a baker's peel.

Rudd Rayfield