SC - medicinal cooking

Mike Young uther at lcc.net
Wed Nov 24 08:14:31 PST 1999

In Hildegarde von Bingens writings you can find many natural medicine
and the description of herbs and stones medicinal properties. She was a
German abbediss and saint, who lived between 1098 and 1179. Her most
important work is Scivias, a book with her visions and prophecies. Holy
Birgit of Sweden, who wrote down her visions too, but 200 years later,
was very much inspirated by Hildegardes visions. The two of them start
their books with a very interesting rethoric trick, "I, a poor and
humble woman, illuminated by God". How could they be other than
illuminated by God, if not, their own nature, to be women, and poor and
humble, was making them improper to write anything.
It was a kind of excuse used by women to get in normal male dominated
issues. And a lie too, Hildegarde von Bingen was a countess and Birgit a
princess, they were not poor and humble, but women.
Kewl to remember in the Council of Trento one of the discussed issuees
was if the women and the indians had souls.
The Concil decided they had second rate souls and because they needed a
male soul to guidance, since the male soul was perfect, since the males
were done to be equal to God.
Suck, suck!
Ana
PS: I made a search at Amazon and found a lot of books by her and about
her, but anything I recognize as the medicinal writings. I have them in
French, and I guess Thomas know them in German. They were in fact
written in bad Latin, since she could not write Latin and several
secretaries wrote down what Hildegarde dictate to them.

"HICKS, MELISSA" skrev:

> Most of the period sources have recipes for "the invalid" or "the
> convalescing".  Unfortunately none of my sources are with me at work, but
> off the top of my head one of the Islamic collections (the one that has all
> of the sirrops in it) has a recipe for Hazelnut milk to be given to the ill
> or infirm.
>
> Regards
> Meliora.

- --