SC - Marmalade

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Nov 27 04:41:35 PST 1999

Akim Yaroslavich said:
> As I have not been privy to previous topics,
> being newly arrived,  I would like to ask whether
> marmalades are of interest.  Since the seasonal
> availabilty of affordable quinces is upon us all,
> I would entertain discussion of period marmalades.
> Personally, I have made several batches over the
> past few years of Condoignac and Chardequynce
> according to recipies circa 1394 and circa 1444.
> The problem of making this excellent food is mainly
> its expense.  For no small reason was this a favoured
> gift to nobles; the honey and red wine was prohibatively
> costly.  A real jewel of a book on this subject is
> THE BOOK OF MARMALADE, C. Anne Wilson, St.
> Martins, NY, 1985.

There was a comment from Ras(?) here recently that
quinces seem to have gone up in price since last year.
Thank you for mentioning this book. Although I have serveral
other of C. Anne Wilson's books, and have been quite
happy with them, I had not heard of this book.

While we have discussed marmalades here before, I don't
remember any mention of them being this early or using
honey instead of sugar so this is interesting.

>  I have offered to buy out all
> of the unsalable stock (still perfectly usable) and usually get
> get 30 pounds or so at 10 cents on the dollar.

This is an interesting idea, but I don't think I've ever seen
quinces in my local grocery stores. Although since I'm not
really sure what they look like, I may be overlooking them.

You may find some of the files in my Florilegium interesting, as a
minimum they do contain a bunch of the previous discussion from this
list on various topics such as quinces. For instance these files in
the FOOD section might be of interest on fruits and marmalades:
fruits-msg       (185K) 10/21/99    Medieval fruits and fruit dishes. Recipes.
fruit-apples-msg  (34K)  4/ 8/99    Period apples and apple recipes.
fruit-citrus-msg  (27K)  4/ 1/99    Period citrus fruits. Recipes.
fruit-melons-msg  (23K)  4/27/99    Period melons. Referances. Recipes.
fruit-pears-msg   (19K) 10/11/99    Period pears and pear recipes.
fruit-quinces-msg (26K)  4/ 9/99    Period uses and recipes for quinces.

I would love to seem more information on these quince recipes and any
redactions that you might have done.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net