SC - We shoulda talked about Thanksgiving last month, too!

Terri Millette wayspiff at ici.net
Sat Nov 27 00:37:21 PST 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> While we have discussed marmalades here before, I don't
> remember any mention of them being this early or using
> honey instead of sugar so this is interesting.

See Le Menagier de Paris, and I think also some of the 14th-century
English sources, for early cotignac recipes using honey. The reason you
probably don't think of marmalade being that early might be that the
word marmalade doesn't seem to turn up in the usual French, English and
Italian sources until late period. As far as I know, offhand, anyway.
But there are several cotignac recipes, under phonetically similar but
variously spelled names, in some of the more mainstream "medieval"
sources. And there's a lovely picture of a wheel of cotignac, a
specialty of the town of Orleans, complete with an embossed picture of
the Maid of Orleans, in the Lang/American edition of the Larousse
Gastronomique.

> >  I have offered to buy out all
> > of the unsalable stock (still perfectly usable) and usually get
> > get 30 pounds or so at 10 cents on the dollar.
>
> This is an interesting idea, but I don't think I've ever seen
> quinces in my local grocery stores. Although since I'm not
> really sure what they look like, I may be overlooking them.

Sorta like mutant yellow pears, maybe a bit like giant rosehips. Longer
than an apple, but shorter/wider than a pear, slightly bumpy, hard
yellowish fruits clearly related to apples and pears, with a slight down
on the skin, a little like peachfuzz, but less pronounced, and that
tends to come off by the time the fruit gets to market.

I remember making a large cotignac Godzilla for the coronation feast of
Horic and Leah (Jeez, was that ten years ago already?); that was kinda fun.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com