SC - Re: SC Pepper sauce, OOP

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Nov 28 04:56:56 PST 1999

Both pig trotters and tripe are really widespread in the kitchens of
Italy, Spain, France and Germany during the Middle Age.
In France, in Paris, in the wellknown restaurant "Au pied du cochon",
serves pig trotters in different ways. They claim their recipes are from
1300.
And tripe, known as "trippa" in Italy, was used by Leonardo da Vinci as
one of the examples of  horrible food he hated.
I am sure Thomas have a lot of tripe and pig trotters recipes from the
south of Germany. The nuns I was raised by were from Bayern and thely
loved pig trotters and tripe.
Cheers
Ana

RANDALL DIAMOND skrev:

> Troy and Mordonna wrote:
>
> <<By the way, as per our discussion on surviving
> medieval cuisine, Greens with Bacon or Hamhocks, big time.>>
>
> <Food fit for the Gods doesn't go out of style.>
>
> I must agree fully with that opinion.  Being a true
> son of the South (Have y'all ever noticed the stars
> and bars on the Meridies flag look awful familiar??).  I adore greens.  I
> keep my jar of bacon
> drippins by the stove just for flavouring a good mess of fresh collards
> (and the ocassional white navy bean pepper pot soup).
>
> Another period holdover here in the South, though this fades every day as
> nasty urbanization spreads across our fair lands, is the consumption of
> organ meats and animal fats.  This is not a subject for the faint of heart
> nor a queasy stomach (pun intended), so skip over if you think you might get
> grossed out.
>
> "You eat WHAT, mi' lord?" and "Oh God, you didn't put THAT in this dish, did
> you?" are fairly common remarks after one of my feasts.  I refuse to follow
> a few unwritten rules, though I do post all my ingredients.  I use lard
> extensively in any dish that has a pastry component.  I also season and
> spice (except for salt in most cases) leaning more toward period levels.   I
> have even served organ meats in period forms.  If you don't like it, don't
> eat it; and if you don't check out the feast menu and ingredients in
> advance, that's your lookout.
>
> I usually only try out these outrageous surprises at feasts that have at
> least 3 major removes so no
> gentle will starve if they skip a dish they may find distasteful and I make
> sure it is not the main entree of the remove. The dish I served, if you are
> curious was Sutil Brouet d' Engleterre (Chestnut puree from England).  I had
> a major crop of fresh chestnuts, so I used Taillevent's recipe of nuts, egg
> yolks and pig's liver with saffron, though I did put it in a lard pastry
> shell as I thought it looked less revolting.  I have often stated my desire
> to serve the tin hat authenticity Gestapo a real period humble (noumble) pie
> with venison heart, liver and kidney filling.  But they quail even at
> chicken inards, so I have not done this.....YET.  For a few brave souls, I
> have offered at event breakfast, scrambled
> pork brains and eggs and even had a few takers. However, I was discreet and
> only offered to share with other natives of the area who I knew were
> acquainted with the dish mundanely.  I did this to my college fraternity
> brothers one morning without telling them what they were eating and nearly
> got lynched!
>
> I personally enjoy most organ meats, though have not been able to figure how
> to serve them in the SCA in a reasonable manner.  Even I draw the line at
> some of the traditional southern fare I encountered at the Piggley Wiggley
> or the Jitney Jungle (these stores exist, honest) when I was in college in
> [...]

- --
http://www.algonet.se/~agora  Hemsida och skyltfönster
http://www.algonet.se/~agora/ada Nättidning för kvinnor och män med
humor