SC - Bon Apetit bias

Ian Gourdon agincort at raex.com
Mon Nov 1 04:04:48 PST 1999

Puck wrote:
> Yes, I am still irritated about that cook.  I had a discussion with a friend
> of mine a coupla weeks ago about medieval cooking.  She made the mistake of
> uttering the standard lines such as medieval cooking would be inedible
> today, they had no spices, their food was bland and horrible, or the food
> was so terrible and rotten they had to cover it up with too much spice, etc
> etc.  Things we know to not be true, but the layperson does not.  No sweat,
> I am used to running into this kind of thing.  But when I see the head chef
> and editor of Bon Apetit magazine, who has her own show on Food Network
> espouse these same views, and bring in a purported expert to support and
> further them, yes, I get irritated.

So, what do you figure the true bias is? Unexperienced cooks might look
at a Medieval recipe and think it too vague to follow, and those
unfamiliar with Middle English might have the same reaction... But an
experienced Chef? Just lazy, or not really curious, or what? Funny
attitude for somebody doing a show on our theme. But wait, we'd be
assuming they have something besides skill in the kitchen, and enough
charisma to have some air time...
- --
Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe, OP
- - Companion of the order of the Greenwood Company
http://web.raex.com/~agincort