SC - Good Broth

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 4 13:11:15 PST 1999

>Then there's the
>possibility of that Eternal Stockpot thang, in which case your Good
>Broth might be a sort of mutant composite stuff. I'm inclined to think,
>though, that the concept of boiling everything in one pot is a little
>less common than some believe.
>
>Adamantius

If the Eternal Stockpot Thang is true, then does the word "Good" become more
important to define than the word "Broth"?

If the fire under the ever simmering stockpot went unattended and the pot
spent a lot of time being only lukewarm, the broth would taste "off" even if
it didn't quite spoil.  If it was left too long without adding water, some
of the stuff boiling in it might have burned on the edges and effected the
taste. If certain vegetable trimmings are added, the broth will become
bitter and nasty. In specifying good broth, is the writer warning that being
too cheap to toss out the contents of the ever present and economical stock
pot will only result in wasting even more food?

Bonne
speculating purely, of course