SC - Good Broth

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Thu Nov 4 13:36:12 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/4/1999 2:15:33 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
oftraquair at hotmail.com writes:

<<
 If the fire under the ever simmering stockpot went unattended and the pot
 spent a lot of time being only lukewarm, the broth would taste "off" even if
 it didn't quite spoil.  If it was left too long without adding water, some
 of the stuff boiling in it might have burned on the edges and effected the
 taste. If certain vegetable trimmings are added, the broth will become
 bitter and nasty. In specifying good broth, is the writer warning that being
 too cheap to toss out the contents of the ever present and economical stock
 pot will only result in wasting even more food?

Don't know about my g-g-g-great granmama would have done it, but my "good
broth" has been going for years.  What I do is on Saturday morning, I search
the fridge for things that would be good, and, of course, get out the jar
with last week's broth in it.  Leftover greens ( lettuce, spinach, cabbage,
etc.) that half an onion, those celery leaves, that half a steak, that
chicken leg, the end pieces of bacon, all go into the pot with a bit of
water, and maybe some bouillon.  I let it simmer all day, and make a soup
with rice or potatoes for supper.  When supper's over, I strain the broth and
put it in a canning jar in the fridge until next weekend, unless I need some
"good broth" for a recipe during the week.

Mordonna The Cook
SunDragon Western Reaches
Atenveldt
(m.k.a. Buckeye, AZ)