SC - Eel?

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Nov 4 15:47:21 PST 1999

> Would this be a Scandinavian fiskboller-type thing? I mention this only
> because I've served salmon balls, well, dumpling thingies, anyway, based
> on a recipe in, I think, The Forme of Cury, for saumon gentil.

Similar but these use whitefish, cod, torsk, etc...
The recipe is simply to poach them in a fish stock and serve them with
a parsley sauce. I'm planning on using a green sauce from, I believe,
Pleyn Delit.

> It calls
> for raw, boned salmon meat to be minced and made more or less
> homogeneous in a mortar, then the forcemeat is exruded through a cut off
> cow's horn (like a pastry bag, which is what we used) into boiling
> water, then cooked and drained, cut into portions, and served with a
> dusting of ground cumin. We actually served ours on top of a green sauce
> made with lots of parsley, as a matter of fact. Also sage, a little
> chervil, a few scallions, etc.

Sounds similar but those sound almost like a type of mousse or
gefilte fish whereas these are more like fish dumplings or meatballs.

> Still and all, this is the one time I served a dish that prompted a lady
> to leap up on top of her table and proceed to tell the tale of Finn Mac
> Cumhal and the Salmon of Knowledge. _I_ thought it was pretty cool...

Isn't it nice to make food that people will leap to thier feet in inspiration?
Usually with me they leap to thier feet to find who tried to poison them.

> Adamantius

Yers,

Gunthar