SC - Recipe 7-Weekend of Wisdom

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Nov 5 06:31:23 PST 1999

Rice for a Meat Day
Copyright 1999 L. J. Spencer, Jr.
This recipe was problematical from the beginning and actually never got
prepared as written. It is easy to get 2 cps. of milk to come to a boil
without scorching it but bringing 4 gallons of milk to a boil is quite a
different thing. We ended up throwing out the milk and using water as in
standard rice preparation. I think that this was my most disappointing dish.
The rice was moist and tended to stick together. Again I blame this on the
massive quantities used for feast preparation and the length the dish was
held before service. I eliminated the rice cleaning steps because with
today's packaged rice, it was unnecessary.

(From Cariadoc's Collection of Medieval and Renaissance Cookbooks, Vol.II; Le
Manegier, pg. M-33. Translation by Janet Hinson.)

Translation:
Rice for a meat day. Pick it over and wash in 2 or three changes of hot
water, and put to dry on the fire, then add boiling cow's milk, and grind up
saffron to colour it yellow: soak with your milk, then add in grease from
beef stock.

1 cps. Rice
1 tsp. salt
2 cps. Milk
3 threads Saffron, ground and soaked in 1 T hot water
1 T Rendered beef fat

Bring milk to a boil. Add saffron. Pour hot milk mixture over rice. Cover
tightly and leave stand for 20-30 mins. or until milk is absorbed and rice is
tender. Add fat. Fluff and serve. Makes 4 servings. (NOTE: A garnish of thyme
sprigs is a nice touch.)

Ras