SC - Marwick Arts Exhibition

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Nov 8 21:27:28 PST 1999

At 10:36 PM -0500 11/8/99, Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

>The recipe was redacted and cooked by Lady Andrea MacIntyre.  Her
>handout says that she got the English translation of the original recipe
>(Tuffahiyya) from the Miscellany.  However, the recipe she quotes in her
>handout is from the Andalusian cookbook, and is not the Andalusian
>Tuffahiyya with Eggplants that appears in the Miscellany.  I think it is
>instead from Cariadoc's cookbook collection... but it must be from a
>different edition than the one I have.   She does not give detailed
>measurements for her redaction.  The handout says that she simmered
>the cut-up lamb in an iron pot with two cups of water and the spices
>until tender.  She then transferred it to an earthenware dish, added
>sugar, musk, camphor, rosewater, and the apples.  It was baked for 30
>minutes in an oven with a baking stone which had been preheated to
>350F and then turned down to 300 F.

Tuffâhiyya, a Dish Made With Apples

Take meat as mentioned in the recipe for safarjaliyya and prepare the
same way; then add tart apples, peeled and cleaned, as many as
needed... [Huici Miranda estimates 4 words missing] and when you take
it to the hearthstone, put in a little sugar, and cut with musk and
camphor dissolved in good rose water. The acidity is most efficacious
in lightening and strengthening the heart and it can be made with the
flesh of birds, such as fat hens or young squabs of the domestic dove
or stock-dove and then it will be finer and better.

This sounds closer to what you describe than any other Tuffâhiyya in
the Andalusian.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/