SC - Chocolate and Period

ana l. valdes agora at algonet.se
Mon Nov 15 04:15:38 PST 1999

Sorry, friends, for a long silence. I has been abroad (is renting a flat
in Nice since September) and have not any Internet connection there. I
has been back in Stockholm only for a day then and then. My apologies to
Elysant, lord Ras and Duke Cariadoc, since I owe them letters and books.
I read all the old postings about the chocolate issue and it stroke me:
what it means with period? I understand the basic rules in time, but not
the geographical borders. I mean, corn, tomatoes, chocolate, were not
"period" for Europe, but were nowadays period for South America. I think
all discussion about food uses and borders and transgressions should be
analyzed from several points of view, not only a eurocentric way.
If not, we are maybe judging food uses and rituals as "universal", when
they were, in fact, only practised by the Western part of the
hemisphere.
Sorry if my post is a "shoot from the hip".
Ana, very PC nowadays

http://www.algonet.se/~agora  Hemsida och skyltfönster
http://www.algonet.se/~agora/ada Nättidning för kvinnor och män med
humor