SC - Oat Groats (and stressing out)

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Wed Nov 17 05:07:57 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/16/99 11:02:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
oftraquair at hotmail.com writes:

<<
 While shopping on the bulk foods aisle at Whole Foods today, I came across
 "Oat Groats" on sale for 99-cents a pound.  I didn't even know I wanted
 these, until I saw them. They'd probably be more correct than rolled oats in
 the various oat frumenty type recipes in the Markham and Digby books I am
 currently studying. Am I right about this?

In the same vein, I going to be doing early Norse and Irish this spring and
have begun using what my bulk food store calls "Medium Scotch Oatmeal", which
is not rolled oats, but I'm not sure where it falls in the spectrum of period
oats. Is anyone out there familiar with this product and can they compare it
to what might be a period oat usable for cooking?

Hauviette