SC - Embarrassing Question...

Magdalena magdlena at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 22 04:13:30 PST 1999

> Well, certainly all the commentary has been positive, with the exception
> of Stefan's observations. However, I'll say that problems other than
> those due to soft apple varieties or poorly stored apples might be due
> to a range of quality between different brands/versions of the Apple
> Exploder, and quite possibly a lack of skill or common sense on the part
> of the infomercial geeks. I mean, these people are television
> professionals, and, for example, how many of the people that pick up
> knives on television (Jacques Pepin and Anthony Perkins in drag
> notwithstanding) actually know how to hold and use them?

I ran an informal test on the thing.  (My roomie wanted several gallons of
applesauce for feast...)  I had the crisp apples in the apple peeler and she had
the mushy ones and a knife.  She's one of those evil people who can peel the
entire skin off in one piece and never jabs herself in the hand.  The Apple
Exploder is slightly faster, and you don't have to cut the apple up when you are
done.  The Exploder does occasionally miss a thin spot of peel, more if you hurry
too much, and may grab a thicker peel if the apple is particularly irregular or a
little too large.  Who cares?  Especially when peeling 80 lbs of apples, fast and
tidy results mean more to me than losing a bit of extra apple.  We were using the
apple peeler that Pampered Chef sells, the one that bolts on.

- -Magdalena