SC - Cariota

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Nov 22 11:56:30 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/22/99 12:09:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com writes:

<< I'd be curious to
 > know what kind of taste a bit of charring would add
 > to the dish as opposed to the direct contact with the coals it
 > would normally receive.  It's probably be a smokiness that would
 > be missing from the over prepared one...maybe... >>

If things are put in the ashes, the presence of smoke would be minimal or
almost nonexistent. Ashes and coals are already burned wood. Any smoke they
had had already been released. Remember also that food cooked in the ashes
was scraped clean to eat it. I think that open pan roasting in an oven is an
acceptable alternative which closely resembles the original taste. I hope to
test this theory  when event season comes around again. :-)

Ras