SC - Middle Low German page

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Oct 5 09:02:30 PDT 1999

Nick Sasso wrote:

> 14th (15th) Century references to brewing pots of enormous size use the word 'furnace'.  The large iron pots would certainly be unwieldy, but the term could, perhaps, refer to the same configuration on smaller scale:  an iron pot that is rounded in the bottom with highish sides that sits above the heat source.
>
> niccolo

Constance Hieatt's glossary in Curye On Inglysch defines fournes or
forneys as a stove. What form that would take I couldn't say for sure
offhand, but stoves themselves in period seem to have been used as
steady heat sources, something like enclosed braziers, and not
necessarily for general cooking. I've long lusted after a Thai wok stove
(what it's called I don't know, but a wok stove is what it is) I've seen
in one of the Thai groceries downtown. It is basically a clay-lined
steel pot up on legs, with some ventilation holes low down in the sides,
and a larger rectangular hole on one side for feeding in small kindling,
and a notched round upper edge for holding a wok or similar
hemispherical pot with the notches for air and smoke to vent out, as
from a chimney. It's the sort of thing I'd imagine somebody using to
cook on a boat, but probably not too far off from what was used in this
recipe's context.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy