SC - My first attempt at hyppocras

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Oct 8 03:49:50 PDT 1999

Adamantius wrote:
>I've heard it said that caster sugar is named for the fact that it could
>be cast (i.e. sprinkled from a gizmo like a salt shaker) on things like
>fritters, doughnuts, that kind of thing.

That gizmo is in fact called a castor. - Castor or caster sugar is somewhat
coarser than icing sugar (confectioner´s sugar) and my sources say the
nearest American equivalent to castor sugar is superfine sugar.

Larousse says that in Britain castor sugar is mostly boiled to a small
crystal size, not crushed or ground.

Nanna