SC - Master Huen's Feast

James L. Matterer jlmatterer at labyrinth.net
Fri Oct 8 03:39:28 PDT 1999

>Henry of Maldon wrote
>>Not to suggest that recipes can't be independently invented more than once,
>>but I see no reason why this one couldn't have originated with one source.
>
>Yes, well, in this instance there are a couple of reasons:
>1) both recipes include potatoes and rutabagas, ...

Okay, I see a very good reason now that I know a few of the ingredients. But
in that case, what brought up the question of whether Vikings ever went to
Mongolia? As we know, potatoes were not known to either Europeans or Mongols
until centuries after the Vikings, so the imaginary Vikings in Mongolia
wouldn't have found a recipe for potatoes anyway. Perhaps the imaginary
Vikings in ancient Minnesota would have had a better chance at a potato
recipe. ;-)

The point that I was trying to make addressed the question of whether a
recipe of Mongolian origin could have been taken to Iceland during the era
of the Vikings. It may be counted as a valid answer to an irrelevant question.

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon