SC - Santich book question

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Sat Oct 9 22:42:21 PDT 1999

My Lady Angeline;

When it comes to nut questions I always check "The Book of Edible Nuts" by
Frederic Rosengarten, Jr.  Regarding the walnut the good news is that
Juglans regia the English or Persian walnut has been has been around in the
old world a very long time, prehistoric in point of fact.  They are
mentioned in the Song of Solomon 6:11.  Juglans is a contraction of Jovis
glans, nut of Jupiter.  When the nut reached England the name "Gaul nut" may
have been contracted to walnut conversely the "wal" may be derived from the
Anglo-Saxon word "wealh" meaning foreign or alien.  Walnuts are referenced
by Shakespeare in "The Taming of the Shrew".  As a dye it has a long history
as well, the green hulls yield a yellowish dye while a brownish one is
obtained from the mature husks.   The bad news is that J. nigra the Eastern
Black Walnut is native to the forests of the eastern U.S. and Canada.
Butternut  J. cinerea is also native to the forest of the eastern U.S. and
Canada and is the most northern and cold-resistant member of the walnut
family.  young butternut twigs, leaves, buds and fruits are covered with a
sticky, hairy fuzz which when boiled or distilled produced a light brown
dye.

Daniel Raoul