SC - white sals

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Oct 11 09:53:45 PDT 1999

Liam Fisher wrote:

> >Who or what is "detrius?"
>
> Detruis is debris, anything undesirable from bug parts to sheep poop.

Ah, you mean detritus. I assumed so, anyway. But since we're on the subject...

> >And how do we know that nothing was clean? Maybe nothing was zestfully
> >clean
> >(:-/), but I believe that they had things like soap and water back then. I
> >suspect that some things were cleaner back then than most things are
> > >today.
>
> If you look through Digbie's brewing recipes (and I need more to read
> *sighs*)  you'll see at least one that refers to boiling the water first and
> ladling or pouring it off of the settlings.  Things were tidy maybe, but not
> clean or sanitary.  They definitely understood
> how to  make it that way though.

Yes, considering that there was no real refrigeration, no thermometers,
and for _some_ of period soap use only for medicinal purposes such as
cleaning wounds, their technology for staying alive in the face of dirt
and germs was actually quite sophisticated, albeit different from ours
in many ways.

Considering the recipes that refer to cleaning and skimming sugar and
honey, sifting flour for whatever-gosh-knows is in there in addition to
things like bits of chaff, removing dirt from the fideos in that Spanish
recipe (maybe they were dried on the ground, or left out in the open and
gathered dust?), and assembling blanc desire in a room without vul(th)e
or filth, it seems pretty clear that the problem existed, as it does
now, but that our ancestor cooks dealt with it pretty much as we do.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com