SC - Period Beet Recipe & period quote about beets

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Wed Oct 20 02:23:36 PDT 1999

Kari said:
> My name is Kari Kuelzer and I just joined this list when I came across =
> it while researching a menu for a Millennium party. I am planning to =
> serve courses throughout the evening from the year 1000 A.D.
>
> Does anyone have any insight into a good reference. Or, if anyone has =
> knowledge of this era in any particular culture and has any menu ideas, =
> I would appreciate help! I am an adventurous cook, and am very excited =
> about this project, but I am also pleased to have found such an =
> interesting mailing list!

It is my understanding from what has been said here that you are not going
to find any cookbooks from this period with the possible exception of Apicius,
and his work actually dates from 200AD. There are some books that cover what
might have been eaten, but they don't use written recipes for their evidence.
You might look into the Anglo-Saxon culture.

Here are a few files in my Florilegium that I think might be useful to you:
In the FOOD-BOOKS section:
books-food-msg    (50K)  4/23/99    Books about food. Not cookbooks.

In the FOOD-BY-CULTURES section:
fd-Anglo-Saxn-msg (11K)  2/ 1/99    Food of Anglo-Saxon England. Referances.
fd-Iceland-msg    (28K)  9/17/99    Food of medieval Iceland. Recipes.
fd-Normans-msg     (8K) 12/ 1/98    Food of the Normans. Referances.
fd-Norse-msg      (36K)  9/17/99    Norse and Viking food.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****