SC - Russian dishes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Oct 21 23:14:00 PDT 1999

*** Encyclopedia's Web site jammed

CHICAGO (AP) - Worldwide visitors swamped Encyclopaedia Britannica's
Web site on the first day the reference was made available for free,
leaving the site still blocked Wednesday for most users. The retooled
site, www.britannica.com, received millions of hits Tuesday after the
Chicago-based publisher said it was putting all 32 volumes and 44
million words on the Internet, gratis. The site also includes daily
news and links to related sites. "We're a victim of our own success,"
said Jorge Cauz, senior vice president for sales and marketing of
Britannica.com Inc. After the initial rush tied up the site, it
functioned normally overnight but became clogged again early
Wednesday as Americans sat down at their computers, Cauz said. See
http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2561715444-962

Korrin S. DaArdain
Kingdom of An Tir in the Society for Creative Anachronism.
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com