SC - summer feast

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Oct 10 23:29:54 PDT 1999

Begga Elisabeth asked:
> I ask of thee a boon.  In a moment of sweet generosity cast my way what
> pearls of wisdom you see fit.  In June I will be preparing feast for 100
> - -150 people.  I will also be expected to serve Travelers' fare,
> breakfast and a light lunch in addition to the feast.  The site is
> completely and totally primitive.  There is no electricity and only cold
> running water.  I'm building fire pits to have a supply of  boiling
> water on hand and setting up a "fish camp" wash area.  What do I serve
> these fine equestrians, artisans, fighters, and followers?
> Awaiting your sage and knowledgeable answers with eager ears and
> grateful heart

Perhaps some of the files in my Florilegium might be of use. First you
might check these in the SCA-CAMPING section:
camp-kitchens-msg (20K)  9/ 3/99    Camp kitchen ideas for SCA use.
firepits-msg       (6K)  7/ 2/99    Useful ideas for firepits.

Or these in the FOOD section:
cook-ovr-fire-msg (45K)  6/ 3/99    Cooking over open fires. Outdoor feasts.

I'm not sure what you are going to be using for pots and pans, but if you
already own or if you borrow some cast iron cookware this file might be of
interest:
iron-pot-care-msg (23K)  8/ 7/96    Seasoning and caring for iron pots and
                                       skillets.

You didn't mention whether you are planning on roasting any meat. If you
are perhaps these would be useful. There are recipes in these files:
roast-meats-msg   (45K)  9/16/99    Hints and period recipes for beef roasts.
roast-pork-msg    (17K)  9/30/99    Cooking pork roasts. Medieval recipes.

If you roast meats, you should consider serving them with sauces. It may be
possible to make some of these sauces at home and bring them to the event.
sauces-msg        (73K)  5/ 4/99    Period sauces. Sauce recipes.

If you think a stew type arrangement might be easier for you this files has
some recipes:
stews-bruets-msg  (62K)  5/26/99    Period stews and bruets. Recipes.

Hope this helps you get started. There has been some good advice on
working at primative sites before given on this list. I have some of
this info to turn into a file(s) someday. Since your event is a ways off,
perhaps I can get some of this stuff on line.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****