SC - distilling laws

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Tue Oct 19 22:17:35 PDT 1999

"Kappler, MMC Richard A." wrote:

> true etc etc etc.  DISTILLATION WITHOUT A LICENSE FROM THE DEPT OF TREASURY
> IS ILLEGAL!  Freeze distillation, fractional, volatile, don't bother, don't
> try to find a loophole, there aren't any.  If you are making alcohol from
> any process other than fermentation you are breaking the law.

I think I already understand the point, but how else beside fermentation is one
going to make (ethanol) alcohol? Distillation basically _concentrates_ the
existing alcohol produced by the yeast in the fermentation process. Basically,
distilling alcohol in the US sans the Treasury license is illegal.

Does this also apply to Canada, Lochac, Drachenwald, and other none USA
territories of the SCA?

Seumas dubh