SC - Nanna's Danish Cookbook

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 17:47:33 PDT 1999

- --- Nanna_Rögnvaldardóttir <nannar at isholf.is> wrote:

> BTW, I missed some of the recent discussion on
> beets/beetrots and have
> deleted some of the posts so I´m not really sure
> what the issue was but if
> anyone is interested, there is a recipe for pickled
> beetrots in the Danish
> Koge Bog.
>
> Nanna

The main discussion has been whether or not beetroots
were eaten during SCA period.  Lord Ras and Master
Adamantius have claimed that beetroots weren't eaten
during the Middle Ages [which I am assuming that they
mean being prior to 1450], that only the greens were
eaten.  I haven't commented much about this, because
my area of expertise is 16th and 17th century cookery.
 I have mentioned that there are late period recipes
for beetroots and said that Gerard mentions the eating
of beetroots in his Herbal.  However, Master
Adamantius poo-pooed this and said that Gerard was
just an eccentric, and didn't reflect what was being
eaten during his time period.  I don't agree with
Master Adamantius and am researching this subject in
hopes of being able to refute his statement.  If you
have any information about the eating of beetroots
during  period, whether or not they were eaten, I
would love to see what you have.  Thanks.

Huette

=====